“Be quick to hear, but deliberate in answering. If you know what to say, answer your neighbor; but if not, put your hand over your mouth.” (Sirach 5:11–12)
On this blog we have the following policy as regards commenting:
(1) While it is easy to sometimes slip from attacking an argument to the person (ad hominem) we ask that you avoid doing so and we will try to do the same. It is not helpful to discussion/dialog. This does not mean that you cannot point out personal reasons why you think someone’s view may be skewed, or point out to them that there online behavior is inappropriate, but you must give sufficient reason for this without it becoming degrading. We’ll aim to do the same.
(2) We do not expect comments to come from Christians only but we ask that you respect that this is a blog written/maintained by Christians. We would not go to a blog written by someone of a different worldview for the mere purpose of attacking that person’s beliefs. We welcome you to critique Christianity, or challenge what we write, but avoid using language that pointlessly degrades our religion (e.g. see this comment here).
(3) Any comments perceived as racist, sexist, and so forth will be deleted. Comments that may be less explicit will receive a warning and once a warning has been given a commenter may expect to be blocked if the warning is ignored.
(4) Any use of excessive or purposeless profanity will be deleted.
(5) When you are referencing Scripture or a book or another long quotation please unless it is essential to your comment avoid providing full quotations. If we are discussing something like the meaning of a particular passage in general and it helps to write it out please be discerning since large quotations can be distracting to the conversation. We prefer you reference your source rather than quote it (e.g. Gen. 1.1 rather than “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” Genesis 1:1).
(6) We maintain the right to delete any comments for any reason.
(7) We maintain the right to block anyone from commenting on this blog if a person violates these policies or if a person does anything else that we deem as distasteful and/or distracting from the purpose of this blog.